Sunday, March 07, 2010

Books and covers

I ran across Fantastic Plastic Machine quite some years ago, mainly by stumbling on the first track of FPM's third album, Luxury. The track was quite aptly named Theme of Luxury, which I fell in love with right from get-go. Trying to describe it would only discredit it. Yes, it's that good. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the rest of the album was, well, very different. As a matter of fact the album itself is as eclectic and diverse as they come. So I was somewhat disappointed with the album and it has been lying around ever since. Well, up until recently, anyway, when I finally picked it up again and started to listen to it, and lo-and-behold, it is in fact very good.

I guess the underlying dynamic here is that based on the first track, I was expecting something. The album didn't deliver that, and that was the letdown. But what it does deliver is something else, which is equally good, just different. It's like picking up the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated and finding out it reads like The Economist. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

No comments: