Saturday, May 01, 2010

Eating out

In the past half a decade I can trace a very clear trend in regards to eating out. During my time as a freshman eating out was something that you did out of necessity: I am incredibly bad at cooking and I had to get food somewhere. It had to be cheap and there had to be lots of it. The typical student strategy, which more often than not resulted in government subsidized student meals twice a day, once at 10.30 when the restaurants opened and another time at 18:00 just before the restaurants closed. In retrospect the food was horrible but I survived.

Eventually your income starts rising and quality of life improving. As a proxy of this phenomenon someone once suggested the size of your stomach: you must be wealthy if you can afford to be fat. That may have worked in the era when only wealthy people could avoid manual labor and grow fat off of their capital income. But, for me the increases in income resulted in middle-of-the-road dining experiences. Chain restaurants. Bad service, mediocre food, and extraordinarily astronomical prices compared to what you got. So in a way this was not my finest hour, but something necessary to learn a bit more about how the world works: there are too many fools that can be ripped off by restaurant chains that play the volume game.

As is typical, after the dark ages people start getting wise again. And in my case my renaissance began when a couple of lawyers provided dinner at Chez Dom. I got interested and checked out the prices, and lo and behold, they were not even that bad. Nowadays a two Michelin star restaurant will serve you lunch for 30 euros: amuse-bouche and three courses. Relatively speaking a fair bit more expensive than your typical 10 euro lunch, but in absolute terms not that horrible. And this was the crème de la crème of Helsinki, mind you.

So, since then I've changed my strategy in regards to eating out. If I'm just hungry, I typically keep a mental list of the places with the cheapest prices for the most amount of food with the boundary condition of a certain threshold in regard to the quality of food (the "no frills" strategy, so to say). And then I have a separate list of places where I will eat if I eat out with other people. The common aspect for those places is that none of them is a chain restaurant, none of them is in the absolute high-end category, but just below (the best is if you are able to find a restaurant that is destined to get their star, but hasn't gotten it yet, so the price point is still slightly lower but the food and service is fantastic). And interestingly enough more often than not the prices are in fact only marginally higher than with chain restaurants and the other places that rip off ignorant middle classes.

And as a result, I can finally say that I am eating better than ever and at a fraction of the cost that I thought this type of life style would require. Unfortunately many people don't see the above dynamic about how middle-of-the-road restaurants rip you off and how much you could better your experience with a marginal increase to the cost. This ignorance also shows up in other aspects of certain people from this group, namely the inability to handle simple processes like reserving tables, arranging dinners, and so on. Fortunately we all have the possibility of choosing who we eat out with and who we engage with. Thank god.

No comments: