Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sampo Pankki...

I previously blogged about my experience with Sampo Pankki and how they actively sought me out to sell me stuff and to manage the customer relationship. What followed from that meeting was absolutely hilarious...

The only thing I was interested in was to change my former pankkikortti/credit card which cost something to a free debit/credit card that they were offering for young customers. Well, the contract stuff didn't go as planned as they forgot to have me actually sign the contracts that were needed... So they send them to me and I return them signed. Then I go on vacation and they call me to tell me that they received the contracts. I'm sailing for a week and return just in time to get another phone call from them telling me that I need to send my old card back because they already sent the new one. Which is nice, especially since I haven't really been at home. I promise to send back the old one.

I look at the new card, which the bank decided to give to me in a horrible black color with tiny sprinkles of glitter on it. Yay. They I tell them that the basic layout would've sufficed, especially as I hadn't requested any special theme for the card. And I get told that unfortunately all credit cards will now have some theme. But wait! I ordered a debit/credit card (my exact words were that they should create an "identical" card under the new contract with identical credit limits, debit features, etc.). Apparently they decided to only give me a credit card. And what more, they in fact also altered the terms of the credit by themselves to require repayment of 100% of the balance on the credit card each month (I always pay the credit cards back monthly, but for the sake of security, I like to keep the minimum bill at 10% if for some odd reason some month I just absolutely have to use up ~all of the credit).

At this point my patience runs out. Over the years I've put up with all sorts of shit from Sampo Pankki. Their online bank is broken more often than it isn't. Their card systems are broken so their cards routinely don't get accepted in restaurants. The fees that they charge are significantly higher than their competitors charge. But I've still stayed with them out of some twisted sense of loyalty. But this was it, my patience with Sampo wore out. Fortunately the one thing they did manage to actually get right was the termination of the relevant contracts.

Amusingly enough I did call their competitor with whom I'm also a customer and told the nice lady there what had happened and how it would be really cool if they'd set me up with a similar setup as I had in Sampo as I would like to move my daily bank activities to their bank. And that I'm in a bit of a hurry as I cut my Sampo cards in half and I'm leaving shortly to NYC for a trip and would like to actually have something to pay with on that trip. And lo and behold, this competitor actually delivered everything brilliantly within a couple of work days. Amazing.

So, to sum up the key lessons from this experience: if you're living in Finland and thinking about which bank to go to, stay the hell away from Sampo Pankki. They absolutely, positively suck at more or less everything they do.

No comments: