Thursday, August 16, 2012

Motivation: Part Deux

So, an interesting bit about motivation occurred to me today, especially in the context of my thesis. So far I've been fairly unsuccessful at it, due to many reasons. Some key things that have come to mind about it can be summarized below:

  • When you're just serving a cake, i.e. waiting around for something gruesome to end and hope of better things happening if you just sit tight and weather the shit, it's really difficult to get anything intelligent done. You just wait for things to end so you can progress again.
  • When the shit does eventually end due to the fixed term (temporal sense) nature of it, things should improve. But if you're in limbo, the uncertainty is again a bit painful. You learn to live with it, and you might get some things done, but it starts digging at you fairly quickly again, because there's a small amount of hope that things will take a turn for the better.
  • When finally you get put into a hole where there is no real chance for things to improve, you finally find yourself in a situation where merely sitting and waiting things out does no longer look attractive. It means that you finally find yourself in a situation where you have to start shovelling shit and get things done or the pain won't go away. That's the only alternative and the only hope.
With the third phase beginning and the cruel reality setting in, I guess we'll finally see whether things take a turn for the better. So far in respect to the thesis, I've been setting up a new environment with which to crunch the data, which should address the performance issues which were previously encountered. Additionally I've finally been able to sort out the mess with the corrupted data for 2007 and onwards, which previously caused a bit of demotivation as that would be the very interesting bit of data. But, let's see... I should have my priorities finally straight again, as counterintuitive as it might seem.

6 comments:

Jane said...

Why do you hate Oliver Peoples eyeglasses?

ttj said...

Hey,

I guess you're referring to the brief bio text. It's not that I hate Oliver Peoples but more that it was a slightly cheeky homage to American Psycho. :) I did actually contemplate on getting OP Strummers a few years back, but my head is too thin and too long for them to look appropriate. That said, I do actually have a pair of glasses from Paul Smith which are in fact produced by Oliver Peoples, so in that respect the bio is also incorrect.

So it turns out I don't in fact hate Oliver Peoples. :)

Jane said...

yes. Ic, so what do you like?
what style do you think would suit you best?

ttj said...

If you mean what style as in what type of glasses, I've long since opted to go with contact lenses. Turns out that if you want to do contact sports, glasses don't get you too far. However, as the company tends to sponsor new glasses every couple of years, I end up accumulating a small supply of them. Most recently I ended up getting a pair of black plastic-framed glasses from Polo Ralph Lauren as I was too lazy to do any serious research and just got something which didn't look entirely horrible.

Jane said...

since you are in Helsinki, what do you think about Lindberg or Prodesign.
Are those cheaper there?

ttj said...

Sorry, no idea about either of those. As a rule of thumb Finland isn't very cheap.