Sunday, March 01, 2015

Bad product design

I like design and have a huge respect for people involved with product design. At the same time I admit that I am a very novice person in this specific area, hence amplifying my respect for good design. But as a consumer, I am also quite convinced that if I identify something that I believe is bad design, then it must be seriously bad design. Above are the instructions for changing a lamp; this design is utter rubbish.

Just to labor the point a bit more, first of all you can't tighten the lamp with your fingers, as there is too little space. Secondly, while you can remove the glass lamp shade, it does not help much as once you tighten the lamp, you can no longer screw the shade back into place. Hence an elaborate scheme involving suction cups to twist the lamp into place. The person who as an afterthought came up with the idea involving suctions cups should be shot twice, just for good measure. At the point of product development when you have a nearly finished product and you have that "oh shit" moment when you figure that you have designed yourself into the corner, you should either go back to the drawing board and change the design to make it functional or then just abandon it and go to work on cutting grass or comparable. Under no circumstance should you have an "a-ha" moment involving elaborate hacks like this.

No comments: