Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas holidays...

So Christmas came and went and this was the first year that I didn't spend it with my immediate family. Actually, I was completely alone the entire Christmas, and it was quite a welcome change (not that I mind spending time with my family, quite the opposite, in fact). No stress, no real human contact, just lying around and so on. Oh, and I did watch both Bridget Jones movies, and I have to say that they still are very brilliant (and for those that say that they're only for chicks; sod off!). They are really quite clever and I'm actually pretty happy that Mr. Darcy still was the one who came out on top. Maybe because I identify myself more with Darcy than Cleaver. Well, ok, I may not exactly be on par with Mr. Firth, but oh well. The films did, though, trigger some fairly sensitive and personal memories and scratched open some old wounds, but I think I can safely say that this is a healthy and most likely the final part of a healing process of sorts. Good as new, at last. But of course these things have no place in a blog, especially not mine. I'm not that open. ;)

Overall the break from normal life for the extended weekend allowed lots of time for introspection (again) and I am actually fairly pleased; I can, with quite a bit of certainty, say that I am learning more about myself each time and I think I'll have to take a moment some time during 2007 and try to figure out and organize a lot of thoughts and try to get them on paper.

Anyway, I did also get around to planning my schedule for next spring and I decided to start my BSc thesis and also keep log of the process on my web page (available here, only in Finnish, though). The topics seem quite interesting, but I still have to see if I can actually do the thesis as I'm only taking the course on managing a software company this spring, and it's listed as a pre-requisite for two of the BSc thesis topics. Hopefully there'll be room to negotiate a bit - otherwise I may have to push the thesis to next fall.

In any event, I also typed up a list of resolutions for 2007 and put that online, too (available here). The idea is simple; I'll set that as the homepage for my browser and I'll have to confront that screen every time I open up Firefox. That way I can't get away from those. In addition, by making the resolutions public, Google will most likely index them (as will The Way Back Machine), and I'll seriously have to work towards keeping them. The toughest two will be getting my BSc done entirely by next Christmas and getting a place as an exchange student in some eastern European country. I guess we'll see what will happen in about 365 days...

No comments: