Saturday, December 02, 2006

Pandaemonium

It's fun to see how different people react under stress and pressure. As much as it might be a cliché, some people fall apart and start acting according to the old rule of "When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout" and give up on everything. Other people, in turn, get a lot more focused, efficient and are able to go the extra mile. I don't know exactly where I fit in with all of this, I guess I'm the type that continues to be confident that I'll be able to pull something off until the final moment, when I either do pull it off or fail. The trick is to set your own personal goals higher than what others expect you to accomplish; that way even if you do fail to meet your personal goals, there's a slight chance to still get something concrete done.

I also like airports. And cafes. And overall places that are busy and crowded, especially when I need to be able to think. There was a discussion at work regarding the working environment and some people voiced issues that the open office was too noisy and something would need to be done about that. I feel quite the opposite, the noise, life and all things related are able to help me focus on something. I'd even go as far as to say that if I don't continously receive signals of whatever sort, I can't really feel completely at ease. Even when I'm alone, on my laptop, doing something, I typically keep at least a couple of internet relay chat windows open so the text keeps scrolling by. I don't necessarily even have to read them, it's enough that something's happening. The curse associated with the current multitaskin lifestyle.

Or perhaps it's a symptom of me being a left-handed person - I read somewhere that people who are left-handed can typically have a lot more things continously under work than right-handed people on average. E.g. right now I'm blogging, I have the chat window open in the background, I'm working on my computer networks project and I have Kotler & Keller open besides me as I need to do some multiple choice exercises for the marketing course. Tomorrow evening at midnight I guess we'll see if I pull this off or not...

No comments: