Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Slippery slopes

Nearly two weeks again without blogging, so I guess it's time to pull my act together again. It just seems that there's a ton of stuff on the agenda again. Last week was sort of hectic thanks to a day-long team workshop on Tuesday (8 AM to 10 PM), an excursion to IBM and then on Thursday I was speaking at NRC Ruoholahti about what it's like working for Nokia. The presentation might've been slightly unorthodox, but I did get some positive feedback about it and at least the freshmen laughed. Quite likely at me, not with me. But oh well...

On the job front I got a new contract. Again. This time it's no longer for a fixed time, but instead a permanent one. Additionally they gave me a shiny new title and raised my salary. Always a nice turn of events. I also stopped working full time again and resumed my part time + school routine, which became familiar last winter.

I also ran across my thesis instructor on Monday. As you may or may not know, I've been working on my thesis since last January, but it's been on hold for a while. Mostly because I hated the way I had scoped it and then because I haven't had the energy to actually start doing it. Anyway, for the past month I've been thinking about it and have sort of re-scoped the thing and on Monday I presented it to Nilay. I guess his initial reaction was sort of positive and I drafted a brief two-pager on what I want to do and sent it to him for comments. But right now I am somewhat motivated that this new direction is where I want to take the thesis. It's not after all a big thesis, but I want to do it properly. I guess I'll try to blog about it more as the work continues.

The jogging project has also been taking a bit of damage recently, namely meaning that I haven't been able to get around to running recently (the last run was a week and a half back when I blogged about the new Crystal Method album). So things are looking slightly grim on this front. I'd also need to go look for new clothing so that I could run during the colder months of the year. I think I need to revamp my personal targets (i.e. the new year's resolutions) to cover this jogging project if I want to actually truly get myself to train properly.

Anyway, that was the quick update, I guess I'll try to blog more often again, if only to keep a sort a written memory of what I'm doing for myself.

No comments: