Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Traveling

When I was quite a bit younger I got my fair share of traveling. My parents dragged me and my brother along on many different trips. So in a way I guess you could say that I grew up to be not as much a Finn as something else. But the flip side of the coin was that when we finally returned to Finland from our three year stay in the US, I was quite fed up with traveling as such. And as seems to be the general consensus these days, I still hate flying.

But. Recently I've found traveling again. And lo and behold, it is fun. A week and a half back we were in Milan for a quick weekend trip. Shot in and out in less than 24 hours. Some people have questioned what the point of the exercise was. I guess there wasn't any. It was just a bar hopping trip. Oh, and I did get to meet Micol and hang around Milan for a while. Overall I had a great time and we certainly got a bunch of interesting stories out of the trip too, regardless of the short time.

The problematic thing returning from Milan was that I in fact didn't really want to go back to Finland. And now I'm actually planning a couple of trips for the first half of 2008. We're going to do a nice three day shopping trip to London with Eve early in January (booked the hotel just now) and then there have been some discussions with another friend of mine about arranging an Italian road trip later in the spring; possibly fly to Milan, rent a nifty Alfa Romeo 159, and then drive around a bit before ending up in Rome and flying back to Finland. Anyway, the trip to London will materialize with quite a bit of certainty. Let's just hope that Italy: Redux will also work out.

Oh, and another nifty thing about traveling is that you can finally use Dopplr to brag about your jetsetter lifestyle... ;) (Dopplr seems to still be in closed beta, so feel free to bug me for invitations if you want an account...)

No comments: