Friday, August 22, 2008

Regarding last miles

As I mentioned before, I ran the Helsinki City Run, a half-marathon, earlier this year. It was an experience that taught very many things, and is still teaching on some parallels. One of the biggest mistakes I made was when I started off too quickly. If you're not in a decent enough shape, starting off too quickly will be the end of you, as it was for my run. The last miles were pure torture.

Similar things hold true for other parallels, e.g. work. Right now I'm sort of running up against a wall with a work project. As was the case for the half-marathon, I have a more or less good idea about what the route looks like and how to get to the finish. But I'm running out of energy and it feels that the road has turned into a swamp. In this case I think the biggest issues were that initially I didn't have that good an idea about what I was getting involved in. In hindsight the picture is always a lot more clear, but this has been a decently steep learning process in which I set off too quickly without thoroughly understanding the landscape and the routes.

This is also applicable to relationships. Running too fast in light of your physical condition and abilities will only cause cramps and a severe drop in energy levels as well as a possibility for not finishing at all, or at least in an unsatisfactory manner.

No comments: