Monday, October 19, 2009

First level reached

Earlier today (Sunday) I had my first level-test in Krav Maga. Or any martial art/self-defense system, for that matter. The experience was certainly interesting as I had practically no clue as to what I was walking into on a practical level. All in all the test was certainly much easier than I expected and I think I would've given myself some negative feedback on a few things, the most annoying of which was when I totally froze and failed to defend myself properly when the instructor was hitting hooks at my head. The situation was slightly amusing since I don't really know why that happened: I knew what I was facing and what I had to do, I saw the fist, but for some odd reason I failed to react. On the second try I got my arm in the way, but blocked with the wrong part and got another hit on my head. It was only on the third attempt that I was actually able to focus enough to get any type of semi-credible defense and counter-attack in place. In retrospect that was the most annoying thing that happened and I would've given myself a minus for something as stupid as that.

Anyway, ultimately it seemed like the P1 test was more focused on just checking that everyone was somewhat sane and able to take part in further training, if they so wished. This became obvious when everyone passed the test and there were a few people who had no clue as to how to break free from a headlock as well as other types of chokes. In general, though, it seemed quite strange that people who had attended the course would have been able to not pick up the simple moves and techniques, but oh well...

Now with the P1 behind, I guess life will go on as usual and I'll see if I can train enough to get P2 next spring. I was also thinking of supplementing my KM with some fitness boxing as the company seems to be kind enough to arrange a fitness boxing lesson every Monday at a nearby office...

3 comments:

Daniel said...

I never know if I should comment here or on Facebook. :P
Anyways - Awesome and congrats. :)

I´ve always been interested in Krav Maga, as it is pretty much the most "useable" martial arts out there.

And in regards to boxing, I can only recommend it. Did it a few years ago it´s a bloody marvelous workout. I never went into the ring, just did all the training stuff on the bags and such. Weight training, too.

Guess I have to pick it up again. Or start Krav Maga. :P

ttj said...

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I also got drawn into KM because of the no-nonsense approach. I understand that these types of self-defense systems/methods have been growing in popularity recently, so in that regard making a choice about what to practice is becoming more difficult.

The fitness boxing was actually suggested to me by my colleague, who advised that it would seriously help with improving my punches (since they're only one minor part of everything that KM covers). He also had good experiences with Eskrima, as it apparently complements the knife and stick fighting very well, so eventually I hope to look into that as well.

But, do try Krav Maga! I have only good things to say about it so far, and it's been incredibly fun. :)

Daniel said...

Yeah, there´s more and more popping up, but I go with "if it´s good enough for one of the mosthardcore armies around the world, it´s good for me!". ;-)

I actually suggested it to Zyrax a few years ago, who was into Kung Fu, but I don´t remember if he ever checked it out.

And yes, your colleague is absolutely right. Not only is it a splendid workout, but it does help tremendously with hard-wiring the punch movements into your spine and developes a nice amount of muscles. :D
Eskrima I have never even thought of, cool idea.

Yeah, I guess I really do have to find out where the nearest place is.

P.S.: How come you´re never on MSN or Skype anymore? :)