Sunday, October 11, 2009

On electric cars

The previous entry consisted of only a short advertisement video of the Fisker Karma, quite arguably one of the coolest electric cars yet. I've talked with a number of people about cars and I personally still maintain that a car is an aspirational thing, at least for me. If I ever get myself a car, it has to be a car that I want. Not a compromise. It has to be something that I actually want to get into and absolutely want to take a ride in it. Not something that makes a small piece of me die every time I see it.

If nothing else, things in life should be beautiful. And the Karma is certainly more beautiful than a Prius. And on every front the Karma just absolutely destroys the Prius; design, performance, treehugging, etc. Hell, the car was designed by the same bloke who did Aston Martin's DB9 and V8 Vantage, and those are absolutely stunning cars. So, the Karma will obviously be something that should serve as a good launch for the electric cars: it shows that an electric car doesn't need to be an underpowered wimp that looks like crap. And that's important, since as long as the electric car is merely something that you buy so that you can save the environment, it won't fly. But as soon as you make the electric car into something that is elegant, fast, and which makes you drool every time you see it, then you've solved the problem.

And finally: a Toyota isn't cool. Period.

1 comment:

JZ said...

Sure, Toyota isn't cool, but they sell practical, reliable cars. That's what most people want.