Saturday, July 05, 2008

Slipping

Well, looks like my discipline in regards to keeping my blog has been slipping slightly again. But in my defence, the weather has been a bit too warm for my taste, as I'm not really a summer person. In my opinion the perfect temperature is between five and ten degrees. Mainly because those temperatures aren't too cold, but you can still wear an overcoat.

It also appears that the golf club has laid off pretty much all the course workers. Proof of this surfaced earlier this morning when I kept losing my golf balls into the rough, which had been allowed to grow quite long. I can sort of understand the decision as it increases the difficulty of the course, but it still feels very artificial and increasing the difficulty of a pseudo-links course that's been built into the middle of a field is, well, difficult. Sufficient to say, I ended up playing 9 holes before getting fed up and marching to the club and applying Napoleon's age old adage: "In victory, you deserve champagne. In defeat, you need champagne." This spawned some questions as to whether or not I had scored a hole-in-one, but I was able to get some understanding looks after explaining that I was merely following the guidance of Napoleon--after all, one should never question the teachings of great military leaders. Too bad Sun Tzu wasn't French, or we would undoubtedly be allowed to drink a lot more champagne.

As for work, things are getting interesting again. On Friday I received quite a thorough kick in the head which quickly made me realize that I am not in control of the situation anymore and I should seriously start acting in a more decisive manner and demonstrating more concrete leadership with our portfolio planning work, lest we be in grave trouble again. Fortunately this humiliation occured at this point and not in a few months time, as now I still have time to actually work out proper schedules and plans for how to execute everything. And who knows, maybe for 2H08 I'll actually be able to earn my bonuses...

No comments: