Sunday, October 29, 2006

Commercials...

I haven't owned a TV in quite a while, so I can usually avoid most commercials fairly well (well, ok, every time I walk out the door, I'm subjected to umpteen different forms of adverticements, I know, I'm taking TU-91.1002 Marketing :). Most commercials are rubbish, but then there is the occasional good one, too.

Nokia's been in a bit of trouble in the press lately. Motorola had the tremendously cool RAZR, etc., and N just can't seem to stay on the ball. All the cool kids have dumped N long ago. My personal phone is still from 2000 and I haven't bothered to get a new one, so that makes me either incredibly cool or incredibly outdated; I've been told retro is the thing right now. Anyway, I went to see some movie I can't even remember a while back and I saw the commercial for the N93 - the one with Gary Oldman, the one below, and as far as advertisements go, it was immensely cool. And I'm not even saying this because I'm sort of biased (*cough*), it really is...



In addition, I also went to the N Flagship Store in Kamppi to check out the concept, since people had talked about it at work. The whole experience was incredibly pleasant and I actually started thinking of purchasing a phone from N as my next phone; six months back I was about to jump ship and buy a Motorola, but just never got around to buying a new phone. The clerks were nice and very helpful - something you can't take for granted in Finland these days. I wondered about the data transfer rates on the E series phones, but the non-3G phones didn't have a SIM in them for me to test. Now, typically in Finland at this point the clerk basicly tells you to piss off, but this guy actually went through the trouble of fetching a SIM from the back so I could test how EDGE faired against the 3G network in a real world scenario. I was sold. Well, ok, I still haven't bought a new phone, but when I do, I think it'll have to be a phone from N.

I think more companies should focus on selling an experience like that to the customer. At no point was I harassed about actually buying a product. Nor did I get a feeling that the clerk was staring at me from behind the counter and wishing that I'd buy something or fsck off.

Oh, and Moby's In My Heart was also a brilliant pick for the N series commercials...

No comments: