Thursday, April 12, 2007

LibraryThing

What's the first thing you do when you wander into some flat you've never been in before? I always check the bookshelf. Typically. And I'm guessing I'm not the only one who does that. But unfortunately people with their busy lives today don't have time to read anything anymore. It's a pity. And as such, as shocking as it may be, bookshelves are disappearing. But back when everyone had a bookshelf or two, it was easy to determine what type of person someone was by looking at the books he/she reads. Nowadays the same goes for what's on your MP3 player. But I think books are still interesting.

So, enter Web 2.0, or especially social networks. Last.fm already keeps track of what sort of music I listen to, so people can then go "oh, your taste in music is all weird and stuff". Luckily now there's also LibraryThing for when you want to list all the books you have in your bookshelf to tell the world. It's also fairly addictive. I went through a couple of piles of books and entered about 40 books that were lying around in my flat. I guess I'll go through the rest of the books in my bookshelf over the weekend. But a cool feature is that I can include a mosaic of the most recent books I've added in the sidebar of my blog. On the right. I'm so in love with that.

No comments: