Sunday, April 22, 2007

Second Nature



I previously discussed about the Nseries commercials some time ago and I thought they were fairly brilliant. Just now I stumbled upon this new Nokia commercial, which I've embedded above, and I think one thing is clear. In my opinion the commercials Nokia is pushing out are excellent and well ahead of the competition. Although I guess it may also be that I represent only a small segment of the overall market which actually likes these commercials that aren't all "in your face", so to speak.

There is, however, one possible problem. In the past Nokia had such a strong brand and recognition that you didn't see that many commercials. It was also fairly refreshing to see that they didn't jump on the marketing bandwagon and shove silly commercials down everyone's throats. But now with these increased advertising efforts - undoubtedly mainly because of the increased competition in the marketplace (well, at least up until 1Q2007, anyway...) - there are tons and tons of Nokia commercials, which from my point of view might damage the brand. Especially if the quality of the commercials deteriorates. And again, it may be that I'm so unhip and uncool that I don't really get what's the current status of different brands in the mobile phone world and that in fact this is precisely the direction a company should go towards if it wishes to capture the youth markets. And the youth markets are precisely where Nokia has in the past couple of years had trouble, if I've understood correctly.

And I still need to go take the marketing exam...

No comments: