Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 2: Getting sea legs


Ok, day 2 of sailing today. I've summarized some key points in the list below
  • Number of fingernails nicked: 1
  • Number of times thro... Fed the fishes: 2
  • Number of rolling genoas killed: 1
  • Percentage of time contributed towards paying off perpetual sleep deprivation: 80%

In the morning the weather was sort of rough with winds of about 25 knots and rather high waves. I got soaked fairly quickly and it was pretty close that we would've gotten a bit of water indoors. We stayed in a buoy in some river for the night and when we left in the morning, some other 40 footer left at the same time, but it says something about the weather when they decided to just turn back. Granted, they we're slightly smaller and undoubtedly much lighter than the HR.

The weather of course got the best of me too and on two occasions I got fairly closely acquainted with a plastic bucket, which was then used to feed the fishes. I personally haven't sailed that much before (just some casual sailing in the Finnish archipelago and then twice to/from Sweden), but even then I've never actually thrown up. So I consider this somewhat of a feat; granted, I did have a sort of large breakfast, which didn't help the situation at all. We eventually got to Dartmouth in the afternoon and the dinner was quite smashing (I just love the way how Brits use English; a lot nicer than that god awful dialect of the Americans...).

Right now the plan seems to be to try to get to Brighton by, oh, Friday. Then just stay there for the Saturday and then on Sunday get back to London and fly back to Finland.

And Micol, yeah, I'm still working on finding you a nice postcard... Fear not.

No comments: