Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 3

Well, Tuesday came and went and some jaws were moved and some titanium was inserted. Not much recollection of the day, in fact I guess I slept most of the day. Which in retrospect might've been a very good thing as hospitals aren't really my favorite place to spend the time. That said, the Surgical Hospital in Helsinki is decent enough with its historical atmosphere.

Anyway, it's such an unreal feeling. It's back to basics; speaking is difficult, eating is nigh impossible and it just feels that even though you're offered more than enough painkillers, there's no real point in abusing them. And worst of all is the numbness. When you feel your lip, you know something should happen, you should feel something. But you don't. You try, but to no avail. All in all, it's a very disturbing feeling.

Two factors seem to contribute toward the difficulty in actually keeping any sort of edible substance in your mouth for long enough to allow you to swallow it: firstly the complete lack of control and feeling over your lip means that you have no sense of when things start going wrong, i.e. when all that liquid-y stuff is starting to go towards your shirt. I know, it sounds quite humorous and I guess it sort of is. The second factor is that in all honesty, even if you could move your lips and have any sort of feeling from them, you still couldn't move your mouth that much.

I guess I could go on and describe all sorts of other interesting situations that an operation of this type operation leads to, but I fear that it wouldn't be that interesting. Suffice to say, I survived the six hour operation in a more or less decent shape. And slowly but surely I'm pulling myself back together. I was in fact thinking that tomorrow I might as well go for my first "long" walk outside and see if I can get my energy levels back to normal.

Oh, and I did start unwrapping my work mailbox, but it appears that the instant you step out of the office, things fall apart. So I guess I have my weekend's work cut out for me.

No comments: