Sunday, May 04, 2008

I'm a bad man

Recently there's been a prominent debate going on in the Finnish media surrounding women's studies and the related shebang. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have no clue about the subject and the rationale behind it. Apparently it has something to do with the idea that sciences in general have traditionally been dominated by men and that they are based on the point-of-view of men and that because of this all things should be considered questionable. I don't see how gravity is a matter of opinion, but oh well, if it gives you kicks, go ahead and question it all you want.

Another view that I kept stumbling across that men have always dominated women. I'm of course young enough that I don't have any sort of real feeling about this, but I've been led to understand that traditionally men have indeed dominated the world more than women. These sorts of things can, I guess, be seen in the overall patriarchal way that the world has previously been run (e.g. men dominating politics, economics, etc.). Right now, however, it seems that things are going in the better direction and things like universal suffrage are considered obvious things. The problem I have with all this is that the previously mentioned views and the discussions tend to revolve around how badly women are treated and how unequal the world is--but only from the men vs. women axel.

Maybe I'm just stupid and dumb (and this is in fact very likely, all things considered), but I don't really see the point of the fight and how it is more important than just saying that inequality of rights between different groups is bad. Of course if I say that I think it is silly to continue fighting about how bad off women are thanks to the manipulative and bad men, I am of course an ignoramus and a racist. And of course the debate is important, at least to a certain extent. But how is it more important than if gaining equality between different races so that e.g. Jewish people wouldn't need to live in a world with anti-Semitism and that handicapped people wouldn't be disadvantaged when applying jobs.

And on the parallel of me being an idiot, I, for the love of life, can't understand why the discussion about genders is at all interesting. About half of the people are born as male, the other half as female. I'm a Finn and a friend of mine a Brit. I was born with green eyes and another friend of mine with blue eyes. Yet when discussing nationalities and the different colors of eyes, I don't get the feeling that I'm getting attacked. But every time the discussion turns to genders and women's studies, I get the feeling that by default I am a bad person, mainly because I happen to be a man.

But, maybe I've misunderstood the whole point. Regardless, I still have the gut feeling that this whole thing is more about pointing fingers at people than anything else and that the effort spent here could be used to accomplish more concrete results if people would just snap out of the pedantic asshole mode and start actually thinking about real problems that don't revolve around the fundamental question of what types of internal and external organs different people have. And do note that I've used the term "people" as opposed to "men and women". Because in the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't matter what gender you happen to be as there are more important problems at hand right now.

No comments: