Thursday, August 24, 2006

A puny attempt at articulating some thoughts...

For as long as I can remember, I've had problems with a certain group of people. Finland has a fairly nice welfare system and a general policy of "not leaving anyone behind." That's swell. Finland also has the highest taxes around. That's not so swell. The aforementioned group is that of the idealists who like the welfare system, want to make it better, want more money and at the same time bitch and moan about the mindsets of the people who pick up the bill. I mean, come on, that holier-than-thou routine is getting old. And fast.

Ever since childhood, everyone is out to instill the "aim for success and work 'til you drop" mindset. That's justified with models and books and research which show that overall things are better if everyone strives for their own/the community's collective success. I won't comment on that. Many people more intelligent than me will most likely know better. But what I do know is that my patience is running out in regards to the welfare system and what it's costing for me. I pay taxes, I have my goals set, I work, I study, etc. And when I go to a bar with some friends, I have various welfare cases harass our table, culminating in some drunkard aiming a punch right in the face of a friend of mine. That's unacceptable.

What's even more interesting is that Kela most likely pays the drunkard more than it pays me. And I'm a student. Investing in me would create more goodwill between me and the government and would perhaps even entice me to stay in Finland after my studies. But right now the situation is that the support I get from Kela doesn't even allow me to stay alive. I work during my vacations from school to raise money so I can study more. But they've also capped the amount I can earn before they'll start cutting the money they pay me. And that's ok. I can deal with that if those are the rules. And then I have some idealists pounce on me and lecture me on how my views of the world are distorted and I have a twisted view on money and how to use it. This coming from people who think sitting around with drug addicts and watching movies all day long constitutes as real work. Nature doesn't have a welfare system; it's the survival of the fittest and the ones who can adapt the quickest. Dragging along extra weight is not worth the effort. What should be done instead is provide everyone a level ground to jump up from (i.e. to ensure that everyone has the chance to the same primary schools, etc.). And then if some people fall or don't jump high enough, that's their problem. Better luck next life.

But under no circumstance am I interested in listening to the hypocritical bitching and moaning and the associated sniping based on stereotypes that these idealists who also lack a real understanding of why evolution works and why driving people out of countries with draconian taxation doesn't. Or otherwise transfer the money that I've paid for the welfare of others back to me; then you can say whatever you want and albeit still lacking weight, it's more credible than what I've had to put up with thus far.

And finally, a note: this was most likely a provoked response to a shitty day, tiredness, etc. Most likely I won't sign the above verbatim in the morning, but...

No comments: