Monday, September 04, 2006

The other side of life

For as long as I can bother to remember, and especially in the last year or so, I've been quite a materialist and obsessed with a whole range of things; good education, good jobs, good pay, etc. A sort of tunnel vision, if you will. Fairly typical for engineers. *cough* Yes, I know, some people have pointed this out to me in a delicate fashion and I might have sometimes either consciously or unconsciously disregarded that.

So anyway, tonight on my way back to my flat, I saw the cutest little creature; a small, innocent hedgehog crossing the road. That triggured some sort of eruption of emotion; I was seriously concerned for the hedgehog and all the dangers it encounters in an urban environment such as Helsinki. I felt really sad. And that's a feeling I haven't really felt in a while, mostly because I've been too busy looking out for myself and my interests. Me, me, me. I feel sick. I'm still trying to process what happens, perhaps in vain, but that's the rational side of me taking over again.

If nothing else, this entry should remind me later on, when I'm back to my typical egotistic self, that there are other creatures in the world in a potentially worse situation in the world and that every once in a while it might be healthy to just stop and just let go of the overly rational way of life and to just feel.

The ironic thing is that two posts back I was in quite the opposite state of mind. Just something to think about...

No comments: