Monday, July 23, 2007

Affordable fine dining

We were celebrating Saku's return from the Caribbean sailing trip (he's been sailing his boat there and back for a year and finally returned last week) and I had to choose a restaurant in Turku. Naturally I took an issue of Kauppalehti Optio at work and checked the restaurant ranking charts from the last page and found a place called Rocca, located right on the western bank of the river Aura. It was the highest ranking restaurant in Turku and the magazine said that the value for money was above par. Some friends from Turku also acknowledged that it had a good reputation. So, easy choice, then.

The only question mark about the place was the price, which turned out to be quite reasonable. The quality was very good (but what do I know about food, anyway?) and starters were ~10e, main courses ~25e and the desserts ~10e. So with 50e you could get a decent meal and then a bit extra for the drinks. The place itself was decent enough too; the design was sleek and sort of minimalistic and the brick wall covering one wall was great. Service wasn't too shabby either; the waitress actually seemed to know what she was doing more often than not, and that itself is quite a feat in Finland.

I guess I could go on telling how great the place was, but since I have no formal background in fine dining and don't really understand how, say, a Michelin star restaurant would be better than this, I'll just conclude by saying that I liked the place and would go there again when in Turku. Who knew that above par dining could be so affordable these days...

On a completely separate note, I happened to play a front nine of +2 yesterday and scored my second eagle of the season (and career). Yay.

No comments: