Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Clothing goes online

It's actually nothing new that you can buy clothes online. I just personally have shied away from that since I've been sort of skeptical as to the quality and sizing of the clothes. But, as seems to be the trend recently, I've been eating my words and accepting changes to things I previously held to be chipped into stone with a chisel; this time I went ahead and ordered three shirts from T.M.Lewin. They're apparently having a nifty sale and getting rid of shirts for 25 quid a pop. So overall (with the S&H costs included), it's still less than 40 euros per shirt. And in anyone's book, that's quite a bargain. Especially more so considering that it's T.M.Lewin and not some obscure little company from the middle of nowhere who nobody's ever even heard of.

That said, buying suits online is something that I still won't do. At least not until I can find a decently good tailor to take my measurements properly. And that, I would imagine, is still quite a way off.

Oh, and T.M.Lewin isn't the only one of the traditional English clothing companies that has an online presence; it turns out that, for instance, an increasing number of Savile Row tailors and suit makers are also represented online. And that's a good thing since I think the plucky Brits could use a bit more visibility, especially now that they're under fire from not only the Italians, but also from various entities from far east.

No comments: