Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Affluenza strikes again!

As I recently mentioned, I'm infected with affluenza. I argued that it was a good start that I was able to admit it to myself and that I was doing my best to heal myself. Today wasn't a very good day in this regard.

I recently lost my briefcase and it has caused quite a bit of annoyance in trying to rectify the situation and get back up to speed. So obviously I was faced with the task of obtaining replacements for the things I lost, and one of the most obvious things that I was needing from a practical standpoint was a new briefcase or a bag for carrying around the rest of the stuff that needs to be replaced. It was a shame that I lost my briefcase as I was rather fond of it. It was nothing really special, just a bag that I picked up in Stansted last summer when the girl at the check-in refused to allow me to take my supposedly too big bag along as hand luggage. So I was stranded in Stansted with all of my electronics in my lap and in a desperate need for a bag to put them in. The result was that I quickly got myself a nifty bag with a shoulder strap from some boutique. And life was good. As said, it wasn't fancy, it wasn't expensive, but it served a purpose even with the annoying small design flaws that it had (from my perspective).

So, today I hit the stores in search for a replacement. And to cut the story short, I am now an owner of a spiffy new Claudio Ferrici. There you have it, the affluenza is still present and going strong. I did try to motivate the decision and the rationale I came up with was that if I pay enough for the briefcase, I would be much more careful in the future as losing it would make me incur even heavier financial losses. After discussing this concept with a friend of mine, I was facing quite a bit of skepticism as to how exactly buying expensive bags helps me to not lose things in the future. I haven't really worked it out that well myself, but I have a strong intuition that things should work out rather well. We'll see...

No comments: