Saturday, March 15, 2008

Discontent

Exams are quite interesting from a psychological perspective. You know that they're coming and you have plenty of time yet things just don't go according to plan. It's that bit of humanity that just fails you at these crucial moments. It's the reasoning that "Yes, I'll get to this after I finish preparing this slide set for that meeting and then answer these emails" gets you down every time. Corporate finance will be taking a second swing at me in a couple of months, but fortunately the project management course is most likely done for good.

But! Not so much bad that not something good too. We've been working with a project at work recently that I've had some doubts about since the start and it was sort of in a volatile stage and in all honesty during the Fall I could not say that I was completely agreeing with it. But recently we got some results and they seemed more or less interesting and when we found our backs against the wall, it turned out that what we were doing might actually be very good, as I recently mentioned. And on Friday we had a rather important meeting around the topic and I personally got to spend about an hour to present the project and what we had done thus far to some rather important people and it went really well (hey! we weren't killed and there was some genuine interest from the other party too!).

It's these sorts of small victories that just keep you going even through the rough times in jobs that don't really provide that much in tangible deliverables. In this regard I've been thinking that maybe doing something tangible might make me a happier person overall, but then I would have to most likely give up the opportunity of actually having interesting fights and getting the adrenaline rush of going to a meeting and walking out with a great outcome. So in short mechanical work will of course have a lower volatility and much easier to see where it's going and at what pace, but right now I again have the clear feeling that what I'm doing right now is something that I really enjoy, despite appearances. And I do have to admit that I've been very lucky.

Oh, and I've recently become very addicted with the Sugababes' About You Now. Oh, and they're using our phones in it. ;-)

No comments: