Sunday, March 02, 2008

An aspiring author...

Well, maybe I'm not aspiring and definitely not an author. But I did make the mistake of drumming the fact that I was thinking of trying to write something into a book a while back. What more, I even got a bunch of people to promise me that they'd get my book if one ever materialized. Then this whole project got put on an indefinite hiatus as it was not only a completely silly idea as I can't write to save my life but more importantly because I don't think I have enough to say to even fill the introduction of a book. And then consider the "more important" obligations that I'm supposed to be juggling around. Like school and work... But I guess those are just a poor excuses.

Anyway, yesterday I finally decided to try to start writing something up. And I did in fact write two and a half pages of the introduction. I still have no clue as to what I'm writing about, so that's a bit of a problem. But I did get letters onto the paper and the letters make up words that make up sentences that make up paragraphs. And it is all terribly bad.

Now, if I take a step back and try to think about why this is happening now, a few reasons pop into mind. Or one. The alternative for what to do if I didn't do this. Namely reading about option pricing models and getting ready for the corporate finance exam that's been lurking around the corner for a while. On a pop-science level the subject is interesting, but my god, I just can't seem to be able to get a firm enough grip of myself to force me to read the course book through. I've even been writing my thesis a bit more, just to avoid preparing for the exam.

So considering all this, I have been able to devise a brilliant and cunning piece of advice for all the real aspiring authors out there: book a ton of exams for yourself, spanning the next 6 to 12 months. And then start dodging them and as a result, you'll have a brilliant book done in no time at all! Unfortunately as I'm me, I can guarantee that my book will be anything but brilliant. But this at least gives an interesting side-plot for the next year that I may occasionally touch upon later. And if I do actually get a book written, then I guess that's a big deal. At least for me. And I'll force-feed copies of it to all the people I know. So beware!

No comments: