Friday, March 07, 2008

Walking

It's amazing how nice the feeling of just being in the moment is. I just came back from watching some movies at Istvan's and walked back to my flat over the bridge from Ruoholahti and was listening to LUX's brilliant song called Norther Lights (yes, it's the same song that plays in the Sex and the City episode when Mr. Big and Carrie are driving arround New York with the horse carriages when Carrie is suddenly forced to go meet Miranda, who's having a baby). And I just couldn't help but notice how beautiful Lauttasaari was in the dark. And how, in fact, I was quite content, even happy, right then.

Happiness has been a recurring theme recently and it's been suggested that I spend way too much time thinking about it and how miserable my life is. It was also pointed out that happiness is when the amount of moments when you're happy outweighs the amount of moments that you're not happy. And this evening I understood that even all things considered, I am still quite happy. Of course I could be even more happy, but that's just the inherent greed that's in all of us. When I was walking back, my back wasn't bothering me at all and my right foot was completely pain-free. So I'm more or less healthy, I'm satisfied with what I'm doing with my life, I read, I think and explore new things, I get to spend time with my friends and my family. I get to talk with intelligent people and reflect. And I get to stop all that when I want to and just be by myself. So all in all, at least right now, I'm happy. It was even fun to meet and briefly get to know Kate yesterday and catch a movie. I doubt I'll ever see her again, but even briefly meeting someone new is fun. So I guess in this respect it's also turning out that I may not be as much of an introvert as I had assumed.

I'm becoming sort of like a broken record in this blog, but I still have to say it just so that I'll continue to remind myself that perspective is good and perspective will help you see that your life isn't in fact as bad as you may think most of the time. And tomorrow morning I intend to wake up early, dress in a nice suit to celebrate the International Women's Day and head downtown to grab myself a nice breakfast before heading to the countryside for the weekend. And it will be one of life's nicer moments.

No comments: