Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Elegance and humility

Today was another yoga lesson and thus far yoga has been really fun. Today, however, we tried the sarvangasana or the shoulderstand. It's a fairly simple asana, but because I'm tall and clumsy, I of course made a total fool of myself. The teacher had just concluded that one key thing to remember is to come back down in a slow, calm, and controlled fashion when yours truly made a total hash of things and fell down with a huge thump followed by the obligatory curses. Not the finest of moments, I might add. Elegance was far from it and the embarrasment was doubled as all the other students seemed to be capable of doing the asana with little or no trouble at all.

An interesting thing was that I took it pretty hard that I couldn't do it that well. Recently I've been surprisingly calm, all things considered, but after this failure I was totally boiling. I guess primarily I was angry at myself, but it started to manifest itself as a general hostile attitude against everything. I really couldn't focus at all for the next hour or so and I just quickly got back home, fuming. The reaction was sort of interesting, as it was triggered by a really small thing. Maybe it's all the stress that's been around thus far in early 2008 which I've been just neglecting to handle coming out now. Who knows.

On a completely different note, I bought my first ever bowler hat today and a friend of mine took some pictures of me, my bowler hat, and a dark suit on the Lauttasaari bridge. The idea is of course that she'll paint me a version of Magritte's The Son of Man with me in it. I'm already really anxious to see how it'll turn out and I think I already figured out a place for it in my flat. The only question mark now is the size, as I was fairly adamant that it would have to be the same size as Magritte's original, so now I have a 1.2x0.9 meter painting coming, and I guess I really didn't grasp the real size of it up until now...

No comments: