Thursday, March 13, 2008

On languages and socialness

A common conception is that Finns are people of few words and when we communicate something, we do it in a very brief and to-the-point fashion. Because of this trait, people of other nationalities often perceive Finns as slightly distant and not very warm, but on the other hand the no-bullshit mentality is then associated with honesty. I've heard many forms of reasoning about why we are the way we are, from the effects of darkness and the long winter to the form of very spread out inhabitation of the land with little or no neighbors nearby. It may also be because of other traits, but I think that one possible explanation might be in the language.

By reflecting things on myself, I've noticed that when I speak Finnish (which is most of the time) I tend to be quite reserved and may come off as arrogant and closed. But when I switch to English, it seems like something changes in me and I become a lot more relaxed and open. Although at this point some clever guys will point out that I'm an arrogant asshole regardless of the language I speek. Maybe so, but I won't agree with that entirely.

Evidence that I base my theory on comes from many places and situations I've been in and, for instance, I'm much more relaxed as a person when I can get away from Finland. I don't know if its the general atmosphere of other countries or what that makes things different. Then there's my most recent job interview, which went fairly well when in an ex tempore fashion the language the interview was conducted in was changed to English. And of course the comments from some non-natives living in Finland who on occasion have commented that I may come off as more talkative, open, etc. than other Finns.

The last point might nullify my original theory at first sight, but I in fact feel that its roots might in fact be based more on the simple truth that Finns are fairly shy and if a Finn doesn't feel entirely comfortable with using a language that they don't feel they master, they will prefer to keep interaction in that language to a bare minimum. In this sense Finns might be less inclined to go on a limb and discuss the weather in English if they have an option of just standing around and playing with their mobile phones instead. Who knows. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here altogether, but I still intuitively feel that Finnish as a language may not necessarily be the best language to facilitate small talk and casual chatting. Finnish is also fairly monotonous in regards to pitch and also, I guess, sort of angular when compared to smoother languages with varying levels of pitch.

So, as a friendly tip to anyone who might run across me at some point; use English instead and I'll be a much nicer person...

No comments: